Thursday 11 September 2008

Kronenbourg Blanc

Spotted this in the supermarket and fancied the look of it. Nice bottle, nice style and even though I have had mediocre experience of French beer I said I'd give it try.
This looked good and smelled good from the start. A nice warm, hazy colour and sweet, fruity smell. The taste was quite good too. Nice sweet, citrus flavour with no bitter after taste. I checked the bottle and found it was a mix of wheat and barley. Is that the norm for a wheat beer? Anyway, it certainly hit the spot. At last a French beer I liked. Then I read the bottle again..
It's brewed by Scottish & Newcastle. It's strictly speaking a British beer so I'm still looking for a good French one. I wonder is the French one better? If it is then it would be fantastic.
Would I buy it again?
Yes and I'd like to try the French one too!
Kronenbourg Blanc - 50cl - 5% alcohol
Available from Superquinn and O'Brien's I think.

2 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

Scottish & Newcastle was bought over several months back. Kronenbourg is now owned by Carlsberg, which would sort of make this a Danish beer, even though it's still brewed in the UK.

I'm fairly sure there isn't a version of this made in France, but there are tonnes of brilliant French beers though we rarely see any of them. If you're in Carvill's of Camden Street keep an eye out for Jenlain. It's lovely.

Liam said...

Thanks for that Beer Nut. Will keep it in mind. I'm new to all this so I have a lot of catching up to do.
I haven't gotten through the beers available locally yet but will have to spread out soon. Will put Carvill's on my list.