Sunday 19 October 2008

Edelweiss Weissbier - An Alpine Treasure?

Velky Al mentioned this one a while ago so when I saw it on one of my beer fetching trips to Kilkenny I said I'd give it a shot. It's a nicely branded and well presented bottle, which I know doesn't count for much regarding taste but at least it shows a bit of professionalism.
This had a nice deep colour and certainly looked the part in the glass. The first thing that struck me was a little sweetness, which I didn't expect, that lingered a little on the tongue. There was a slight metallic (to my taste buds) tingly taste there too that was not unpleasant. It has a smooth and silky texture that makes it very easy to drink combined with a nice fruitiness of a little lemon or maybe mostly lime.
This is quite a complex beer and well worth investigating.

(I was back in Kilkenny last Friday and they were out of stock! But Liam gave me a glass to make up for it.)

The Verdict
A really nice wheat beer that might become one of my favourites. The sort of beer that I could bring 3 or 4 to party no bother. Not to share though!
Edelweiss - 33cl - 5% alcohol - Austria

4 comments:

Thomas said...

It's a tasty drop alright. I paid 8 euro for a half litre in Paris last week. I don't think I have quite recovered from the shock just yet.

Liam said...

Ouch!
Mind you, I'd like the option in this town.
A friend of mine was charged 10 euro for a half litre of Leffe in Paris too. I have a bit of a soft spot for the Blond but that's pushing it.

Alistair Reece said...

Whenever I am in Paris I go to one of the Frog and Rosbif brewpubs - their beer is decent enough and the food is good, and I don't think it is especially pricey.

Thomas said...

I visited a Frog pub while there, but the beer was a bit poor, to my mind. One of their bitters was decent but the rest were generally thin. I'll write up a few lines in a while when I have a few spare minutes.