Thursday 6 August 2015

Recipe: Spent Malt, Oats & Apricot Flapjacks - Stuck Mash


I don't really have a sweet tooth, so it's rare for me to make or bake desserts or cakes, but occasionally my palate gets turned by my brain's ridiculous requirement to occasionally eat something sugary.

Yesterday I fancied something sticky, sweet and sickly but with limited time and resources - plus a scrounger's need to use some spent malt from my homebrew at the weekend - making a batch of flapjacks seemed to make sense. Firstly they were easy to make, secondly I had all the ingredients and finally they ticked the aforementioned alliterated criteria.

So here we go!

Ingredients:
175g of Butter
175g of Brown Sugar
175g of Dried Spent Malt
175g of Oats
2 tbsp of Golden Syrup
2 tbsp of Dried Apricots - Finely Chopped

Method:
Put the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a large saucepan and heat gently until butter is melted. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Spread out evenly in a 30cm by 20cm tray and cook in a 170 C oven for 25 to 30 mins. Leave to completely cool and then cut into squares.

That's it!

You can substitute any dried fruit for the apricots, or leave them out completely. The taste of the biscuity malt shines through and complements the oats, although next time I might use slightly more of the malt and less oats, as I like how the malt tastes.

As ever, feel free to adjust quantities to suit your palate.


No comments: