Friday 3 October 2008

Singa - Fancy a Thai?

I know there's nothing terribly unusual about this one but I guess I've started down a road so I want to stop at every door.
I have had Singa before in restaurants but never thought to much about it. Probably because it was with food and it was before I had any regard for the complexities and variations of beer. I do remember I liked it.
I still like it, a little anyway. It's not a blow your mind kind of beer but it's an improvement on the 'macro swill', as others have called it, available in most pubs.
Or maybe it's just a macro swill from another continent. At least it's imported, unlike other Asian beers I've tried.
It has a sweet, fruity taste reminiscent of grape juice or to be more accurate a sweet wine like a Loupiac only not as intense. It was a nice, pleasant tasting beer to start but seemed to fade badly as I got in to it. Some ales I've had seem to improve as you drink them but this lost a lot. It even went flat quickly. Maybe I'm drinking to slowly these days.......
The Verdict
Would be ok in a Thai restaurant with a meal but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it.
Singa - 33cl - 5% alcohol - Thailand

No comments: