Tuesday 21 October 2008

Schneider Aventinus - My Faith Restored....For Now

I had picked up a bottle of this with the Ayinger Doppelbock that I had a couple of weeks ago. I was a little scared of it after the Ayinger until The Beer Nut and Adeptus eased my worries.

I'm glad they did.

This is a gorgeous beer and means that I might try other Doppelbocks in future. Although it might be hard to top this one.

It was smooth and slightly sweet and left a tingle on my tongue. It had a nice maltiness with no trace of bitterness. The alcohol content is 8.2% but there is little sense of the strength because it blends so well with the flavours. This is good stuff!

There's a strange fruity taste there too perhaps like a little banana with burnt oranges, I'm not sure. What a smooth tasty beer, not to mention a decent size bottle. Not good stuff, great stuff!

The Verdict

A great beer. This goes in high on my list.

Schneider Aventinus - 50cl - 8.2% alcohol - Germany

3 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

No, that's it: you're now officially ruined for doppelbocks. Paulaner Salvator is worth trying, but I don't think anything has the beatings of Aventinus.

We're lucky to have it, too. When Eurobeers collapsed last year it disappeared from the market for a while.

Barry M said...

Technically it's a Weizen Doppelbock, or Doppelweizenbock, or whatever. I can't recall trying another one of that type, apart from the Hacker-Pschorr Weizen Bock perhaps, but it may be one reason why it stands out as a classic, being a little different to the "regular" doppelbocks. A tad smoother perhaps?

I haven't had one in ages... I'll have to do a comparison with a few doppelbocks. Maybe not all in one night though!

Liam said...

Beer Nut-
Bought it cheap in Kilkenny cos it was out of date. Should have bought the lot!

Adeptus-
Thanks for the info. It was VERY smooth and silky.......God, I'd love another!
Might have to have something else right now.