Sunday 3 May 2020

A Perry's Ale Advert - Lest we forget...

The Wicklow People - Saturday 21 July 1934
I'm putting this advert in a post for no good reason other than I quite like the image and sentiment - not to mention the 10-sided tankard - and that I just spent the weekend brewing a couple of Perry's ales from the 1930s - well an ale and a porter to be precise...

It may also help to emphasise - perhaps - that the brewing history of our country is about more that a few well-known brands, we really should be researching, discussing and celebrating our whole beer related heritage before it disappears or is swamped by the fakelore of marketing companies who don't really give a damn about our real brewing history.

And, yes, I know I'm banging the same drum again...

Liam

(All written content and the research involved in publishing it here is my own unless otherwise stated and can not be reproduced elsewhere without full credit to its source and a link back to this post.)

Newspaper image © Independent News and Media PLC. All rights reserved. With thanks to The British Newspaper Archive (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk).

2 comments:

Edd The Brew said...

Hi Liam ,
I`m of much the same mind about the lesser known regional UK breweries like my presonal favourite : Henry Bentley & Co , from Woodlesford Nr Leeds , and of course
Peter Walker & Sons , Both firms had a Family of brewers !!!, One invented what is now known as the Yorkshire Square system of fermentation in the 18 Th Century and the other ; developed The Burton Union System !!!
Hope the brews turn out ok ,
Cheers
Edd

Ale and Nuts said...

Keep some for me Liam, this can't last forever.