Thursday 20 November 2008

Budweiser Budvar Dark Lager

I found this lurking in my fridge where I had put it a few weeks ago. I think I left it in there one night and forgot about it due to the fact that I put some leftovers on top of it. What this says about my fridge hygiene and cleanliness is pretty obvious but there you go. Look on the bright side, you don't have to live with me.
Anyway, back to the beer. I had tried and enjoyed Budvar on draught before so this seemed like a good choice.

The colour was certainly intense, being a beautiful dark amber shade and the sweet, intense malt smell wafted through my nostrils just before I took a gulp. It was beautifully smooth with a rich coffee bean taste. Not espresso coffee beans, something more subtle and less severe. I got a slight nutty taste too and a slightly sweet after taste as it went down.

As I drank more the taste mellowed slightly, or maybe it was me, and it seemed to get sweeter. I found myself drinking it a bit quicker than I had anticipated and got to the end of the bottle way too quickly. Damn!

I was looking at the bottle and I spotted that it was 2 months out of date. Mind you, that didn't seem to affect anything about it. I thought it was a fine beer and one I could drink one or two of easily, maybe even three.....

Incidentally, it also gives the malts used on the ingredients list on the bottle. (Pale, Munich, Caramel, Roasted.)

The Verdict

This is a great beer for my palate. Plenty going on in taste and smell with a lovely smooth texture.

Budweiser Budvar Dark Lager - 50cl - 4.7% alcohol - Czech Republic

4 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

Funny, all the Budvar Dark I've had recently has been dated the end of this month, and has tasted a little stale to me. The green glass probably doesn't help either.

Superb beer, and even better when it's fresh. I just hope we're getting another shipment.

Liam said...

This one was dated the 19th of September. If that means that a fresher one would be better again then I'll be first in the queue.

Alistair Reece said...

Budvar Dark is one of my favourite Czech dark lagers, really is superb on tap!

Betty said...

I agree I enjoy this one. I recently had a taste of Budvar Dark & have to admit it was really good.

http://thejoereview.com/category/beer